Welcome to the IRCv3 Working Group. We’re a group of IRC client and server software authors working to improve the IRC protocol.
- Standardised account login using SASL to speed up registration and authentication. [3.1] [3.2]
- Providing the account information of other clients for the development of more advanced client features.   
- Optional metadata able to be attached to each message for easier, standardised extension development. [link]
- Instant away notifications, to let users know when other users go away or come back more quickly. [link]
- Showing the actual time a message was received, improving history playback from IRC bouncers. [link]
- Grouping related messages to simplify the display of those messages to users. [link]
What We’re Working On
- Standardised account registration and verification, allowing clients to provide better interfaces for end users. [link]
- Giving clients a standardised way to recognise, access and view chat history (provided by bouncers or servers). [link]
- Providing a mechanism to allow clients to automatically detect, move to, and keep using secure connections. [link]
- Client avatars for display in graphical clients.
Source: Welcome – IRCv3